Monument record SMW 002 - Shipmeadow Poultry Farm;Wangford Union Workhouse;House of Industry
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3782 8982 (266m by 348m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SHIPMEADOW, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Wangford Incorporated Hundred Workhouse erected in 1765, for background information see (S1). Unlike other workhouses of this period no associated burial ground is shown on the (1927) 1:2500 map (S2). It is, however, built close to Shipmeadow Church and joined to the rectory by a footpath. There was an associated Pest House, now demolished, at TM 3767 8955 (S3). The cost of building is described by Shaw (S4).
Now used as a poultry factory.
- <R1> SSF39 (No record type): `Shipmeadow Union Workhouse: Diary of an inmate (1837-1852)', PSIA, vol 24, 42.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copies (S2)(S3).
- <S1> SSF5451 (No record type): Dymond D & Martin E (eds), An Historical Atlas of Suffolk, 1988, 96-97.
- <R2> SSF16601 (No record type): Pritchard M F L, `Early Days of the Wangford Hundred Workhouse', PSIA, vol 30, 175.
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, sheet no IX.9, 1927.
- <S3> SSF21186 (No record type): Shaw John, `The Finance and Construction of the East Anglian Houses of Industry', PSIA, vol 37, pt 2.
- <R3> SSF3342 (No record type): Cave H, `House of Industry: Shipmeadow', Suffolk Fair, 1985, 6.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, sheet no IX.13, 1927.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 29 1996 12:00AM