Monument record STN 055 - Oval Plantation
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8089 8663 (213m by 157m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Large oval plantation defined by mostly surviving outer banks (S1). Marked on OS 1st edition map of 1824 (S2) and subsequent maps (earlier maps not checked). Possibly part of plantation of 1781 shown on Estate map of 1791 (S3).
July 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The large oval post medieval to modern plantation bank described above is visible as an earthwork on imagery from a recent lidar survey (S4). It is depicted on historical Ordnance Survey maps, including the 2nd edition 25 inch map (S5), on which it is named 'Oval Plantation'. It has not been mapped by the project, but the polygon defining the site has been amended to accord with the lidar data.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 5th July 2017.
- <S1> SSF20172 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, July 1996.
- <S2> SSF12819 (No record type): OS, 1st ed 1 inch map, 1824.
- <S3> SSF6028 (No record type): Estate Map of Cadogan Estate, 1791, SRO (Bury).
- <S4> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Santon Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S5> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2019 1:18PM