Monument record WSW 043 - Dale Pond
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 805 713 (219m by 242m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Dale Pond. Artificially formalised elongated pond with surrounding bank and ditch. Brick-built outfall at S end leading to West Stow (former, C19, Bury) sewage works. Shown on Hodskinson's (S1) and OS 1st edition (S2) maps as irregular (natural?) pond. Formalised by 1904 (S3) . Other early maps not checked.
1995: Area partially cleared of trees and pond partially dredged by FC as conservation area.
October 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Dale pond and the associated banks and ditches, of a probable post medieval date, are seen as earthworks principally on the visualised lidar data (S4). There are a number of small linear ditches to the east and west of the pond which most likely relate to post medieval drainage. The pond has been not been mapped as it falls outside of the surveys remit and is mapped well on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (S5). The monument polygon has been amended to correlate with the extent of the features as seen on the visualised lidar data.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 08th October 2019.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S1> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S2> SSF12862 (No record type): OS, 1st edition one inch map, 1836.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, XXXIII.5, 1904.
- <S4> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S5> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2020 11:38AM