Monument record FTN 001 - St Andrews Church (remains of) (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5170 9551 (51m by 57m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR LOWESTOFT), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Remains of St Andrew's church.
1966: An excavation carried out by Lowestoft Arch & Local Hist Soc under direction of Peter Harris, on the ruined church (S2).
1974: The remains upstanding consist of parts of the N and S wall with apparently no division between nave and chancel. Mainly flint and rubblewith some odd early brickwork. Condition ruinous. Interior and churchyard under nettles etc. An unusual decorated floor tile was found there a few yearsago (S1).
1981: Monument badly overgrown. Brambles growing out of walls on S side.A fair amount of collapsed masonry at W end. Whole of interior completely covered with nettles (S1).
1991: Said to be at risk (S4).
- <M1> SSF42709 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM59NW3.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF7302 (No record type): Harris P, Interim Report on Flixton Church, LOWAMR (Annual Report), 1966-1967, 18-21.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 32, 1971, (2), 201.
- <S4> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S5> SSF5116 Bibliographic reference: Dickinson P G M,. 1956. Little Guide of Suffolk.
- <S6> SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Lothingland Rural District, Suffolk, AUG-1949.
- <S7> SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Waveney, 29-JAN-1987.
- <S8> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Harris P (Ref: Harris P) (ESF15440)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13787)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13516)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF12808)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2021 4:15PM