Monument record FHM 018 - Maiden Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Cropmarks of square moat(?), outer rectangular enclosure with various internal subdivisions, and related field boundaries to SE of existing Maiden Hall (S1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9418 5668 (177m by 183m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL95NW
Civil Parish FELSHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Cropmarks of square moat(?), outer rectangular enclosure with various internal subdivisions, and related field boundaries to SE of existing Maiden Hall (S1). Site of (?) Maiden Hall Sub-Manor of Felsham, owned by Hugh de Morieux in 1234. In 1608 a licence was granted to William Risby to keep a market and two yearly fairs at Maydenhall in Felsham. Absorbed into main manor, date unknown (S2).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <M1> (No record type): APs: (S1).
  • <S1> Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachen D, APs, CP/96/45/9-11, 10 July 1996.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Mar 12 1997 12:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.