Monument record YOX 013 - The Rookery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 398 683 (760m by 787m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||YOXFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Large park known as The Rookery, probably in existance by 17th century. In 1796 house described as 'a large commodious mansion'. Park shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map. Park boundary shown on HBSMR map is taken from (S1), especially from sale particulars of 1884. The Rookery Estate was first held by John Fox in 1647 and was sold many times since them. The present house is a large early C19 building (not Listed).
Details in (S1).
Rookery Park is a small country house of late 18th or early 19th century origins. It is uncertain who originally designed the house or who the house was constructed for. The building is of two storeys and an attic and is construced with white brick laid in Flemish bond. It has a shallow hipped roof with two ridge stacks and a third stack on the south-facing pitch. By 1844 the house was owned by a Mr Colman and it seems the wings of the house were perhaps part of his mid/later 19th century improvements. By 1884 the house had a conservatory and two projections to the rear. The house was remodelled during the early 20th century when bays were added to the facade. A drawing of 1909 details alterations by G L Sutcliffe ABIBA for F S Low. These included the remodelling of the front porch, a sun lounge at the first floor, and smoking room to the rear of the ground floor. Additional services buildings were built which incorporated the original stable block. A detatched stable and coach house was constructed in 1902. The stable block comrises a central arched entrance with a clock turret above flanked by accomodation blocks. Some of the stable have been converted into garages. The roof covering has been replaced with artificial slate. Rookery Park was purchased by (Henry) Herbert Hambling in 1922To the east of the service range the remains of the gardeners' bothies and one arm of the walled garden remain. The house was recommended for listing in 2010 but did not meet the required criteria (S2)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 4 2022 5:44PM