Monument record FLN 054 - Flixton Park (quarry)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3029 8633 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||FLIXTON (NEAR BUNGAY), WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Formerly recorded (during excavation) as FLN 013. Excavations in March/April 1996 in area of ring ditch FLN 013 and in October 1996 in area to NW as part of topsoil stripping monitoring. LNeo features and finds from area immediately to N, and partially within ring ditch, FLN 013. Includes pits and post holes. 34 of these form a sub circular pit ring, about 20m in diameter with an entrance to the NW (enclosure?) cut by(?) ring ditch, FLN 013.
A sub-rectangular post holed structure was recorded in the centre of the enclosure, aligned with the circa 3m wide entrance.
Finds include a typical LNeo grooved ware assemblage. Details in (S1)(S2). Possibly ritual in function? (S2)(S4).
A radiocarbon date of 3980 +/- 45 BP (calibrated to BC 2575-2464)(S3). Further isolated pits were identified to the NW (S2) and grooved ware has subsequently been found to the E (see FLN 053, Neo).
Interpreted as possible lunar observatory of henge type by Taylor (S4).
For details of excavation see (S5 S6).
Referred to and recorded as FLN 013 in reports (and finds similarly numbered).
- --- SSF54605 Unpublished document: Boulter, S. 1997. RMC Atlas Aggregates Ltd Quarry, Flixton Park, flixton, Archaeological Excavation and monitoring Report (FLN 013).
- <S1> SSF18993 Unpublished document: Boulter S. 1996. Plixton Park, Flixton, (FLN 013) Assessment report. SAU, Boulter S, Assessment Report, SCCAS Report 96/13, July 1996, ill.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S2)(S4)(S5).
- <S2> SSF18994 Unpublished document: SAU, Boulter S, Assessment Report, SCCAS Report 96/65, October 1996, ill.
- <S3> SSF21143 (No record type): Scottish Universities Research and Reactor Centre, Radiocarbon Dating Laboratory Report, June 1997.
- <S4> SSF22062 (No record type): Taylor P, `A Neolithic Lunar Observatory?', 1997 draft ms for PSIA, forthcoming, ill.
- <S6> SSF54602 Unpublished document: Boulter S. 2000. Flixton Park Quarry, Flixton, an assessment of the archaeology recorded in the areas excavated as FLN 013 and FLN 053.
- FSF22200: POTTERY GROOVED (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF22201: WORKED OBJECT (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF22202: POT BOILER (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF22203: POLISHED AXEHEAD (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF22204: TRANSVERSE ARROWHEAD (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF22205: POLISHED KNIFE (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF22206: (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF22207: (Late Neolithic - 3000 BC to 2351 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2012 3:54PM