Monument record IPS 306 - 13-15 Queens Street, Ipswich, (IAS 3002).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 16255 44507 (32m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Building extension revealed two portions of handled ladles, part of pitcher, red-painted (probably of low countries origin - perhaps Badorf or Pingsdorf?). Also base of Hedingham ware jug 13th or 14th Century and a 15th Century bung hole (S1-S3), and a restored Ipswich Ware pitcher (S1, S4, S5).
Material from site of Eastern Counties Building Society's extension, 13/15 Queen Street. Costrel. Lobed cup with Tudor green glaze. Metropolitan slipware dishes. Two chamber pots. Black-glazed tyg. Bellarmine. Glass wine bottle. ?Holy water stoup, Saintonge. Majolica - ?Dutch imitation of Italian. Farthing of Charles II. Plate - yellow. Beauvois. Chaffing dish base, rouletted, local. Striped jug, local. Saintonge sauce boat, late C16th early C17th (S6).
- <S1> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 3002.
- <S2> SSF55970 Article in serial: DUNNING, G. C. HURST, G. MYRES, N. L. TISCHLER, F.. 1959. Anglo-Saxon Pottery: A Symposium.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 3002.
- <S4> SSF55974 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1962. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1962.
- <S5> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. 962-28.
- <S6> SSF57815 Machine readable data file: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2017. Ipswich PMED Records Spreadsheet.
- FSF24585: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF24586: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF24587: POTTERY DECORATED (Unknown date)
- FSF39577: LADLE (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to IPS: Early Medieval - 1000 AD to 1099 AD)
- FSF39854: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF39855: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF39856: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (16th century to 17th century - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
- FSF39857: POTTERY (13th century to 14th century - 1200 AD to 1399 AD)
- FSF39858: BUNGHOLE JAR (15th century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2017 11:53AM