Monument record IPS 329 - 22-4 St Helen's Street, Ipswich, (IAS 3601).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 16777 44547 (14m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
1975: Thetford ware kiln and wasters found (S1-S3).
(TM 16784456) A sub rectangular oven pit, of a Saxo-Norman pottery kiln producing Thetford ware, was found in
Contractors footing's in St Helens Street, Ipswich. Further excavation revealed kiln debris of Thetford and some Ipswich ware overlying a layer of complete pots which included a pitcher and 20-30 cooking pots. The oven pit was cut through a Mid Saxon
rubbish pit. (S5)
(TM 1680 4458) Excavation of a 100 square metre area immediately north of the 1975 work revealed a small fragment of an Anglo-Saxon kiln. (S4)
Intensive medieval occupation provided evidence for tanning or cloth processing. (S10)
- <S1> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 3601.
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 3601.
- <S3> SSF56037 Unpublished document: Wade, K. 2013. Ipswich Archive Site Summaries: 24 St. Helen’s Street.
- <S4> SSF55346 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Plouviez, J. & Ross, H.. 1984. Archaeology in Suffolk 1983. XXXV (4).
- <S5> SSF60036 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 1976. East Anglian Archaeological Report. Number 3.
- <S6> SSF57563 Index: IPSMG. 2009. Ipswich Museum renumbered Ipswich archive. R.2009.39.
- <S7> SSF56372 Article in serial: Owles, E. J.. 1977. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1976.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S9> SSF60037 Bibliographic reference: McCarthy, M.R; Brooks, C. M.. 1988. Medieval pottery in Britain AD 900-1600.
- <S10> SSF60038 Newsletter: Ipswich Archaeological Trust. 1983. Ipswich Archaeological Trust nwes 3.
- FSF24681: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF24682: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF39968: WASTER (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF39969: WASTER (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF39979: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF39980: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF39981: PIN (IPS: Early Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 700 AD? to 850 AD?)
- FSF39982: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 13th century - 1000 AD to 1200 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 27 2021 10:10AM