Monument record CRP 006 - Post Medieval revetments and tracks that were part of a munitions store.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 06521 57855 (441m by 360m)|
|Civil Parish||CREETING ST PETER OR WEST CREETING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
As seen from AP, a series of trackways(?) leading to buildings(?), each approximately 30m long. Possibly cordite works/store (19th century) industrial site (S1, S4).
2001: identified as existing in 1915 (map to be forwarded by Steve Williams local history reporter) (hence carefully isolated from one another) built after 2nd explosion (1912) of gun cotton at Stowmarket. Included last pivot units with own min-rail system - extended over part of Creeting St Peter and Stowmarket parishes (S2), though partial archaeological evaluation trenches of 1993 failed to locate any features of this nature (S3).
2014: An archaeological evaluation on the plot revealed several linear cuttings for sunken tracks and extensive cuttings representing large scale terracing into the valley slope (S5).
- <S1> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS, AP, 66/11 134, 1966.
- <S2> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Kerr A, 30 November 2001.
- <S3> SSF50056 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service evaluation report. Warren K, SCCAS Evaluation Report, 1993/21, 1993.
- <S4> SSF54291 Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 2007. Aerial Photographic Assessment, Cedars Park pipelinelink phase 1, Creeting St Peter.
- <S5> SSF56827 Unpublished document: Heard, K.. An Archaeological Evaluation at Lane South of Mill Lane (Mill Lane Business Park), Stowmarket, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 27 2023 12:39PM