Monument record WLB 009 - Oldtown Marshes (Med)

Please read our .

Summary

Med and PMed pottery scatter around the site of the Med port of Walberswick near Oldtown Marshes.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 493 741 (256m by 216m)
Map sheet TM47SE
Civil Parish WALBERSWICK, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Med and PMed pottery scatter around the site of the Med port of Walberswick near Oldtown Marshes. Area of old town `dock', apparently timbers survive and can be seen at low tide - ?quay structure (S1). Not shown on Hodskinsons 1783 or later maps.
`Walberswick Old Church' and `Walberswick Old Key' marked in approximately this position on Joshua Kirby's 1753 copy of Ralph Agas's 1587 map of Dunwich. For alternative location for church see WLB 010 (possible) & WLB 012 (probable).
See also PMed.

An ancient thatched church once stood on the border of the marshes south of the present church. It was taken down in
1473 and the last visible remains removed in 1728 to clear the area for cultivation, though Bryant (2) says part of the shell is
still visible south of the town. (S3-4)

No trace of a church, though two sites are suggested. According to the church guide (a), it stood "three to four hundred yards to the south of" St Andrew's Church in the area TM 489743, now occupied by houses and gardens. Local tradition asserts that the church stood at TM 493741 in a field named Lamplands which was formerly church property. This accords with the description "on the border of the marshes". It may have been destroyed by erosion. (S5)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • --- Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 NKB 10-MAY-74.
  • <S1> (No record type): Kett, P.. Kett P, per SAU (Newman J), handwritten note on copy of AP.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
  • <S2> (No record type): Gardner T, An Historical Account of Dunwich, 1754.
  • <S3> Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proc Suff Inst Arch 8 1934 416-8 (THR Oakes).
  • <S4> Bibliographic reference: Bryant, T. H.. 1912. County Churches.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 20 2022 1:45PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.