Monument record BSE 154 - Babwell Friary; The Priory Hotel
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 85112 66009 (41m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1998: Two evaluation trenches just outside the precinct wall of Babwell Friary (BSE 014) uncovered a large ditch running parallel to, and south of, the Friary wall, filled in the Post Medieval period (S1). For more details see S3.
2000: Confirmed by monitoring plus other pits were found, but could not be dated. No further evidence was found of a possible Medieval posthole building identified during an earlier evaluation (SCCAS Report 98/20 - see BSE 014)(S2).
Evidence from monitoring the adjacent plot shows that the ditch extends away east of the site. The ditch probably relates to the Friary boundary, althought the date is not known (S2).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF60846 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 1998. Archaeological Evaluation Report - Priory Hotel, Tollgate.
- <S2> SSF57417 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 2000. Archaeological Monitoring Report: BSE 154, The Priory Hotel, Bury St Edmunds.
- <S3> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (3), p.366.
- FSF25418: BRICK (14th century to 16th century - 1301 AD to 1500 AD)
- FSF25419: TILE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF25420: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF25421: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF25422: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 30 2022 11:19AM