Monument record WMH 003 - Old Chapel Farm/St Margaret's Chapel
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4055 7675 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WENHASTON WITH MELLS HAMLET, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A two-celled Norman chapel of flint rubble. Apsidel chancel standing to about 8 feet, plain chancel arch complete. Walls of nave much lower but circuit complete. Broadened foot of wall visible all round. There has been some small scale quarrying nearby (S1).
24 April 1981: Interior of chapel has been cleared of undergrowth. W wall supporting large tree stumps. S side walls being undermined by erosion of sandy soil. 2 large pieces of masonry approximately 80cm long have fallen from N side (S1).
Dated AD 1100-1120, with no traces of subsequent restoration. Constructed mainly of rubble it appears to have been robbed of what little dressed stone there may have been. Part of the nave and chancel walls remain (circa 1894) varying in height from 2 feet to 9 feet. The chancel arch stands topped with 8 feet of 'screen wall' (gable wall?). The chapel was abandoned circa 1465, and the ruin is now covered with ivy. Semi-circular apsidel chancel (S2) quoting (R1).
Isolated near parish boundary.
Shown on Hodskinson's map, 1783 as 'in ruins' (S3).
2007:A survey to record in elevation and plan the ruins of the chapel of St Margaret's in advance of urgent repairs to stabilise the structure. The excavation of a test hole showed that the original floor had been removed, but a brick surface laid post 17th century was uncovered. The extent and function of the surface is unknown but it may have been a previous attempt to consolidate the arch or present the ruin as a picturesque folly (S4)
- <M1> SSF42598 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 8, 1894, (3), 334-379 (ill).
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM47NW1, 1970 (ill).
- <S3> SSF50065 Map: J Hodskinson. 1783. The County of Suffolk Surveyed. 1783.
- <S4> SSF50340 Unpublished document: SCCAS. 2007. Building survey report St Margaret's Chapel, Wenhaston with Mells WMH 003.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Chant K) (Ref: DOE (Chant K)) (ESF13927)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13782)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13510)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (BMS FI) (Ref: OS (BMS FI)) (ESF12787)
- Event - Survey: St Margaret's Chapel, Mells: Building recording (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-31159) (ESF20055)
Record last edited
May 25 2010 5:30PM