Monument record BUN 042 - Stow Park, Bungay, (Prehistoric - Roman)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 32565 87692 (106m by 136m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
March 2000: Evaluation revealed several Roman ditches, pits and postholes containing Roman pottery. In addition, a pit and a ditch were identified, the ditch contained a single handmade body sherd of pottery which is probably Iron Age. The Roman pottery evidence suggests a date for continuous activity ranging from the late 1st century to the late 3rd or 4th centuries. The bulk of the pottery is 2nd century or later and includes local and imported ware. Roman ceramic building material and fired clay were also collected. Six iron objects were collected, 4 nails, two unidentified objects, a short piece of strap or knife handle and a wide strap with a tampered fragment bent at right angles to the plane of the strap. Worked flint, flakes and blades, were recovered, along with some burnt flint, however they are undatable.
Finally, a 19th century field drain tile probably from the cover from a 19th century U-shaped drain was identified (S1).
Descriptions of finds are broad, dating to a specific period bracket is ill-advised. However, they may be later Prehistoric, based on their find contect in likely Roman ditches. (S3).
1999: Desk-based assessment of the area prior to evaluation (S2).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S1> SSF58309 Unpublished document: Meredith, J.. 2000. Archaeological Evaluation, Stow Park, Bungay (BUN 041 and BUN 042).
- <S2> SSF58311 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 1999. Desk-based Assessment, Site to the South-West of Stow Park, Flixton Road, Bungay.
- <S3> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- FSF26440: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF26441: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 150 AD to 250 AD)
- FSF26442: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF26443: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF46583: FIRED CLAY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF46585: NAIL (Unknown date)
- FSF46586: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Unknown date)
- FSF46587: STRAP (Unknown date)
- FSF46588: FLAKE (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF46589: BLADE (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF46590: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF46591: BUTCHERED ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 23 2019 11:19AM