Monument record ERL 116 - Consolidated support building, RAF Lakenheath, Saxon (Sax)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 734 804 (80m by 149m)|
|Civil Parish||ERISWELL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
2001: Archaeological trial trenching has revealed evidence of a peat filled channel beneath wind deposited sand. The feature ran towards Caudle Head where an extant watercourse drains towards the fens. A series of ditches containing occupation material appear to be Middle Saxon in date and is thought ot be a contiuntion of the settlement to the west (ERL 101) (S1).
2003: Archaeological excavations identified field systems, pits and a distinctive pit group. Finds of Ipswich Ware pottery and evidence from the animal bone showing food waste, butchery, milk and wool production and possibly horncore working along with the evidence of the slag for a possibly smithy suggest both domestic and industrial activity with settlement very nearby and mixed farming being carried out (S2).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S1> SSF50419 Unpublished document: Tester, A.. 2001. Archaeological Evaluation Report, Consolidated Support Complex, RAF Lakenheath, ERL 116.
- <S2> SSF50418 Unpublished document: Caruth, J.. 2006. Archaeological Excavation Report, Consolidated support complex, RAF Lakenheath, ERL 116 and Family Support Complex RAF Lakenheath ERL 139.
- FSF26496: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF26497: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF34278: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF34279: QUERN (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF34280: SLAG (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF34281: KNIFE (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF34282: WHETSTONE (Unknown date)
- FSF34283: HOOKED TAG (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF34284: COMB (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF34285: WEFT BEATER (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF34286: LOOMWEIGHT (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 27 2012 11:05AM