Monument record CAC 030 - St Peter's Road, Carlton Colville, (Prehistoric).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 51050 90322 (110m by 167m)|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
March 2003: Evaluation trenches revealed two areas of interest. The first contained a possible buried soil with artefacts from Mes to IA. (?possibly mainly EBA). A second area revealed feastures of probable Preh and LSax date.
Six trenches were laid out to investigate this site, all revealed features. Modern disturbances were encountered at both the NW and SE ends of the site, Despite a considerable degree of recent earth movement along the frontage of St Peter's Road, one pit of possible Early Saxon or medieval date survived. A series of undated features were encountered in the S corner of the site. Considerable areas in the N and W of the site could not be evaluated due to standing buildings and yard surfaces (S1).
Open area excavation followed - details O/S.
- FSF28878: FLAKE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF28879: POTTERY (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF28880: BURNT FLINT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF28881: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- FSF28882: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF30922: POTTERY PETERBOROUGH (Middle Neolithic - 3500 BC to 2701 BC)
- FSF49950: MULTIPLE PLATFORM CORE (Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF49951: FLAKE (Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF49952: BLADE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 9000 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF49953: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF49954: FLAKE (Star Carr Type Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 9000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF49955: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF49956: FLAKE (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FSF49957: FLAKE (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- FSF49958: BLADE (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2351 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 30 2019 9:19AM