Monument record HEV 002 - Ditched enclosure system, Heveningham Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 348 730 (218m by 252m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HEVENINGHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Extensive system of ditched enclosures, probably Med ? manor site noted in Heveningham Park by St Joseph AP. Surface finds in Laxfield Museum. Excavation by SAU 1975 (S1).
Excavation took place on a site within a complex of earthworks, since ploughed out, discovered by aerial photography and interpreted as a Med hamlet. An area 900 square m was stripped and revealed a cobbled yard and a series of drainage and boundary ditches. On one side of the yard there were the remains of three buildings, one of clay lump or cobb construction with a hearth and two others of sleeper beam construction. The date range of the settlement was C13 - C15 (S2).
- <S1> SSF20709 (No record type): SAU, record card, undated.
- <M1> SSF36849 (No record type): Excavation archive.
- <R1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ATT 69.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP : CUCAP ATT 69.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM37SW14, 1977.
- <R2> SSF7517 (No record type): HMSO, Archaeological Excavations, 1975, 114.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 24 2018 2:31PM