Monument record HRM 012 - Horham Airfield

Please read our .

Summary

Military Hospital, airfield , officers mess and missile base.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 20285 72958 (1747m by 1471m)
Map sheet TM27SW
Civil Parish DENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish HORHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish HOXNE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Horham was one of the earliest of the new heavy bomber bases built in East Suffolk to be opened, although it was originally built by the RAF. The two T2 hangars were erected on the S side of the runway. The technical site was adjacent to the two hangars beside the B1117 road to Eye. HQ, administrative and living sites were Nissen hut type temporary buildings and dispersed in farmland to the west of the airfield in the parish of Denham. The USAAF left Horham in 1945, and gave its Stars and Stripes HQ flag to the nearby Stradbroke Church.
The airfield was returned to the RAF on Oct 9th, 1945 and became a satellite for No.s 25 and 26 maintenance units. In Oct 1978, the hangars were dismantled and it was declared a surplus inactive station. In later years, the RAF Bloodhound missile site used part of the airfield but when this moved the complete site was sold during 1961-64. A mushroom growing plant was established at the end of one runway during the 60's and St Ives Sand and Gravel company carried out work elsewhere. On the West, away from the airfield, there stood a hospital and this was used in the 70's by a farmer as a grain store. The doors still had stencilled names on (S1) Sick quarters/hospital (on N side of the airfield, now a museum) and communal site considered worthy of preservation. Officers mess etc being restored. S2

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Unpublished document: Schofield, T. Sommers, M. and Taylor, S.. 2018. Geophysical Survey, Trial Trench Evaluation & Metal Detector Survey: 'World War 2 Treasure Hunters' TV Series, Horham Airfield, Horham.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Freeman, Roger A. 1978. Airfields of the Eighth - Then and Now. Freeman, Roger., A. 1978.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Email. Cuthbert M, email to Pendleton C (SCCAS). 27/10/2004 & 9/11/04.

Finds (16)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Apr 1 2019 1:02PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.