Monument record ARG 058 - Medieval/late medieval features
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47274 59954 (76m by 81m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDRINGHAM CUM THORPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Refusal of planning consent for a housing development at Old Holmes Road, Thorpeness, was partially due to the lack of information regarding the location and extent of a cemetery associated with the chapel of St Mary, A trial-trenching evalution proved that the cemetery did not extend into the proposed development area. However, archaeological features, principally ditches, of medieval/late medieval transitional date were identified. The features are indicative of activity of that date within the immediate vacinity of the site (S1).
- <S1> SSF51905 Unpublished document: Boulter, S., and Anderson, S.. 2004. Old Homes Road, Thorpeness, Record of an Archaeological Evaluation.
- FSF30527: POTTERY (15th century to 16th century - 1401 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF30528: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF30529: TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF30530: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2017 3:46PM