Monument record LKH 009 - Rabbit Hill (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7189 8402 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Pit, diameter 4 feet x 4 feet 6 inches, depth about 2 feet, excavated by Grace Briscoe after discovered by deep ploughing in 1958. Pit cuts into yellow sand with fill of black soil with over 200 sherds of "giant" beaker (three listed by D L Clarke) and rusticated ware, charcoal, flint implements including 14 scrapers, animal bone and teeth, possibly used to decorate pottery (S1)(R1)(R2)(S2). At least sixteen pots represented, four rusticated, 3 plain (S3). Further information and excavation archive in Briscoe archive? Mentioned in Gibson (S4).
- <R1> SSF3561 (No record type): Clarke D L, Beaker pottery of GB & Ireland, 1970, 498, corpus numbers 929, 930.
- <M1> SSF46282 (No record type): G Briscoe archive:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW20.
- <R2> SSF11216 (No record type): MIHLM, 6 inch record map, 1957 (?) entry.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Lakenheath Beaker, 1959.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S3).
- <S3> SSF1541 (No record type): Briscoe Lady G, PCAS, 53, 1960, 1-7.
- <S4> SSF6831 (No record type): Gibson A M, `Beaker Domestic Sites', BAR, 107, 1982, (1), 182.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2021 9:03AM