Monument record BUT 028 - Butley Mills
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3852 5163 (105m by 173m)|
|Civil Parish||BUTLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Watermill (and Windmill to SW) shown by Norden circa 1600 (Ipswich Record Office), Bowen 1755, Hodskinson 1783 (including windmill) & OS 1880s (including 2 windmills).
Wailes (1960) states 'This red brick and pantiled mill was recently gutted of all old machinery. She was reported to have been a tide mill, but this is not so. She was back-watered and stopped when the tide was up" (S4).
Note: A miller is recorded at Butley in 1650-1699, 1844 and 1912 (S5).
- <S1> SSF50054 Map: Bowen E, 1755.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Mills File (S5).
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. 1:2500, 1880s.
- <S4> SSF50064 Unpublished document: Survey. Wailes, County of East Suffolk, Survey of Watermills, ms, 1960.
- <S5> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. E Suffolk A-H, 1990.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 2:46PM