Monument record WRW 028 - Probable post medieval boundary banks, The Kings Forest
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8327 7444 (228m by 710m)|
|Civil Parish||WORDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLANTATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLANTATION BANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
Large bank with a slighter one coming off at the end, forming an 'L' shape. The larger bank is 15-30m broad and runs from compartment 4182, 4189 and 4194 getting broader towards the south. A second parallel bank 10m to west, 5-8m high, 0.5m high. These banks represent Elchamps Pantation on the 2nd edition OS map. The smaller bank is 2.5m wide, 0.4m high and runs the full width of compartment 4194 (S1).
Probably marking edges of C19th (?) plantations as mapped in 1880s and later. Earlier maps not checked.
September 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Sections of earthwork bank, most likely post medieval in date, are seen on visualised lidar data (S2). The above bank sections have been recorded as part of WRW 089 along with further banks identified by this survey. The monument polygon has been amended to correlate with the location of the features from the visualised lidar data.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 11th September 2019.
- <S1> SSF50361 Unpublished document: Pendleton, C. and Sommers, M.. 1998. Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey for Forest Enterprise. p. 30, map 13.
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL77NE/77SE/87NW/87SW, Mapping Block 3: Breckland Aerial Investigation & Mapping (NMP) Project (ESF27300)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey (Ref: ) (ESF19105)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey, Forest Enterprise, 1998 (ESF19514)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2020 2:06PM