Monument record WRW 030 - Two parallel earthwork banks, The Kings Forest, Wordwell
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8306 7534 (309m by 426m)|
|Civil Parish||WORDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (9)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- BOUNDARY (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK (IPS: Modern - 1901 AD? to 2050 AD?)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Unknown date)
1998: Rapid earthwork survey identified 2 large banks running parallel to each other. One is 9m wide, 0.4m high and continues into compartments 4177 to the south and 4160 (not surveyed) to the north. In 4160 the bank runs for 5m before cornering 9 degrees to the west, the bank then continues to the edgo of the area 4160c. The other bank is half the length and runs on the western edge of compartment 4166, 3.5m wide, 0.6m high (S1).
Undated but probably Post Med field boundaries.
July 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Sections of earthwork bank, most likely post medieval in date, are seen as earthworks on visualised lidar data (S2). The sections of bank centred at TL 8300 7533 most likely relate to a former post medieval boundary. The eastern bank centred at TL 8317 7533 may have related to a further post medieval boundary, a modern boundary or a product of modern forestry. The banks are not seen on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (S3). The monument polygons have been updated to correlate with the features position on the visualised lidar data.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 11th July 2019
- <S1> SSF50361 Unpublished document: Pendleton, C. and Sommers, M.. 1998. Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey for Forest Enterprise.
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial.
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL77NE/77SE/87NW/87SW, Mapping Block 3: Breckland Aerial Investigation & Mapping (NMP) Project (ESF27300)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey (Ref: ) (ESF19105)
- Event - Survey: Rapid Earthwork Identification Survey, Forest Enterprise, 1998 (ESF19514)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2020 2:23PM