Monument record WLN 045 - Second World War ‘Diver Strip’ Anti-Aircraft Battery and associated military camp
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 45079 69475 (237m by 263m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTLETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A WWII military camp, on the western edge of Westlerton Heath consisting two lines of Nissen-type huts at rights angles to each, associated with trackways and other activity, Possibly associated with WLN 046
Site of a Second World War heavy anti aircraft (Diver) battery in the Diver Strip at Westleton Heath. It was armed with four 3.7-inch Mark IIc guns equipped with Predictor BTL, and Radar AA No.3 Mark V when it was deployed here on 24th November 1944, and was manned by 370 Battery of 117 Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment. It formed part of 40 HeavyAnti Aircraft Brigade deployment (S2).
February 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
Assessment of the aerial photographs for this site (S2-S4) revealed that this Second World War military camp is associated with a ‘Diver Strip’ Anti-Aircraft Battery. A Diver Strip site at this general location is indicated in (S4) and in the EHA record, which states it was armed with four 3.7-inch Mark IIc guns equipped with Predictor BTL, and Radar AA No.3 Mark V when it was deployed here on 24th November 1944, and was manned by 370 Battery of 117 Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment. It formed part of 40 HeavyAnti Aircraft Brigade deployment.. Another Diver site is recorded to the immediate south in (S4), however no traces of this can be seen and it may be that evidence of it has been removed by June 45 by the large scale military activity recorded under WLN 046. Military training possibly associated with the construction of the Diver batteries is recorded on this vicinity under WLN 091.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 26th February 2015.
- <S1> SSF50176 Unpublished document: Historic landscape survey - Farm environment plan, Historic environment statement. Fletcher W (SCCAS) 2006.
- <S2> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478638.
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RS 4167-4168 16-OCT-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1557 RS 4225-4226 07-JUN-1946 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55876 Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. and Sims, D.. 2014. A Guide to Second World War Archaeology in Suffolk. Guide 2: Walberswick to Aldeburgh.. 2 vols.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2015 11:12AM