Monument record ARG 004 - Chapel of St Mary, Thorpe
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4719 5993 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDRINGHAM CUM THORPE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1477: mention of 'chapel of St Mary of Thorpe'.
1783: mapped and notated as `ruins' by Hodskinson. Chapelry of Snape Priory. Dates of demolition disputed earliest being 1500. Ruins dismantled 1820 and site ploughed.
1870: 'some remains of a church or chapel, but the whole has been removed except a very small portion. Situated in a field opposite Mr Nunn's farm' (R1).
Skeletons (at least two) found in E-W graves in gas mains trench at Thorpeness almshouses. Locals report further indications of cemetery in adjacent gardens. No dating evidence. Information from Ipswich Museum 1980. 13 September 1990: Two further skeletons in gas pipe trench (S2) ? site visit by Tom Loader.
1997: A documentary search established without doubt the location of the Chapel of St Mary but it was not possible to determine the extent of the graveyard. The report concluded that the site of the Dolphin Inn lies outside the area of the graveyard (S4)..
Also see Misc.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM45NE1, 3 December 1977.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4).
- <R1> SSF7419 (No record type): Hele J F, Notes and jottings about Aldeburgh, 1890, 13.
- <S2> SSF21773 (No record type): Suffolk Constabulary.
- <S3> SSF6981 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk History: E Suffolk A-H, 1990.
- <S4> SSF21106 Unpublished document: Breen, A. M.. 1997. The Dolphin, Thorpness, Aldringham Cum Thorpe, Documentary Search. SCC, Breen A M, SCCAS Report, 97/41, July 1997, ill.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Documentary Search, The Dolphin, Thorpness, Aldringham Cum Thorpe (ESF21805)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (Loader T) (Ref: SAU (Loader T)) (ESF13236)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS 1:25000 (Ref: OS 1:25000) (ESF14615)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2017 9:14AM