Monument record FRS 048 - Friston Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4046 6020 (1570m by 1722m)|
|Civil Parish||FRISTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Friston Hall and surrounding park and gardens.
Manor was property of Snape Priory up to 1524.
1524-1532 owned by Cardinal Wolsey.
1532 passed to Michael Hall (or Hare, who built the first? Hall). Sold to Sir James Bacon.
1696 owned by Sir Henry Johnson, who had Hall rebuilt. Passed to William Wntworth, Earl of Strafford, in 1754.
Circa 1799 owned by Richard William Howard Vyse.
For early drawing of Hall see (S3).
Extent/s of park not known - HER'd approximately only (and excluding Snape Race Ground (Warren) to S which was probably in same ownership.
- <S1> SSF50054 Map: Bowen E, map, 1753.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S3).
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF21407 (No record type): Snape Historical Trust, "A match was run on Snape Race Ground", leaflet, 1992, ill..
- <S4> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. Goult W, 1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 11 2011 2:00PM