Monument record HLY 109 - Earthworks, E-W bank, and dole (boundary) mounds within woodland.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3468 4649 (476m by 234m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (10)
- EARTHWORK (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY MOUND (Post Roman - 410 AD? to 1900 AD? (at some time))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- RABBIT WARREN? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRACKWAY? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY? (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
2006: earthworks, E-W bank visible on the 1880's OS first edition maps and still extant. Dole mounds within woodland (S1).
October 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
An area of earthworks, possibly forming dole strips, pre-dating Woodbridge airfield (SUT 197) were visible on aerial photographs (S2)-(S3) on Lower Hollesley Common. These features may relate to activities such as warrening or from a division of the common land into dole strips, shares or parcels (S1), although they do look more like a series of trackways on later photographs (S3). A possible Second World War practice airstrip in the area has been recorded separately (SHER HLY 098), as have two possible areas of ridge and furrow or dole strip cultivation (SHER HLY 120).
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 7th October 2015.
- <S1> SSF50483 Unpublished document: Rolfe, J.. 2006. Archaeological earthwork evaluation report, Land Holdings of the Suffolk Wildlife Trust at Upper Hollesley Common.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 V 5007-5008 30-DEC-1943 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/1672 F21 0314-0315 03-MAR-1955 (EHA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Hollesley common earthwork survey (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-21428) (ESF19141)
- Event - Interpretation: TM34NW. Mapping Block 3: Sutton to Hollesley. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085 (ESF23316)) (ESF23318)
Record last edited
Dec 3 2015 9:06AM