Monument record HRF 014 - Manor House Farm; Herringfleet Hall (1880s); Old Hall (1837)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47882 97681 (339m by 170m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Manorial site since C13th. Old Manor House, originally moated according to Copinger (S1) though note no sign of a moat appears to survive - a moat does actually survive further N (see HRF 013).
Recorded as 'Hall' by Hodskinson in 1783 (S2); as 'Old Hall' by OS in 1837 (S3); as Herringfleet Hall by OS in 1880s and as Manor House Farm by OS now (LB grade II). Also part of farm complex including Listed wall and barn. Listing details not checked.
Note: Herringfleet Hall was relocated (at end of C18th?) to new site within Park at TM480991 (also a LB) - see (S3).
HER mapping includes area to SE of Manor House Farm which is labelled as 'Moat' on 1880s OS map (though now labelled as pond and certainly enclosing too small an area for a house).
- <S1> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S3> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map. 1837.
- <S4> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 11-JAN-72.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 27 2021 11:49AM