Monument record HIG 015 - Upper Green: Higham Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Site of former Upper Green, shown as sub-triangular and bounded by houses, including Higham Hall, on north and east sides on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S1).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 74466 64641 (337m by 445m)
Map sheet TL76SW
Civil Parish HIGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Site of former Upper Green, shown as sub-triangular and bounded by houses on north and east sides on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S1). Includes Higham Hall site (now Hall Farm).
Original boundaries & precise date unknown. Still named Upper Green on 1880s & later OS maps. Other earlier maps not checked. Defined on HER approximately after Hodskinson and OS mapping.
Indicative area of the historic settlement core of West Row, defined from historic maps, the locations of listed buildings and artefact scatters (S1, S2, S3).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> Map: J Hodskinson. 1783. The County of Suffolk Surveyed.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History.
  • <S3> Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Feb 3 2012 9:11AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.