Find Spot record BAW 157 - Eastfields, Bawdsey, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 34662 40390 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1995: Finely knapped & fresh hand-axe found 'upright', 15cm deep (in garden?) at 1 Eastfields by the occupant in 1995. The Appearance is remarkably fresh and unstained or patinated suggesting possibly recent product. Context suggests redeposition, (S1-S3).
Form and technology is suggestive of Late Middle Palaeolithic types. Shape (definied visually rather than metrically) is within range called "Flat Butted Cordates" (S5) or "Bout Coupés" (S6) . Neither is entirely descriptively accurate (S4).
- <S1> SSF59383 Finds Report: Pendleton C. 2007. Finds report, Palaeolithic Handaxe, Bawdsey.
- <S2> SSF59384 Personal Correspondence: Ashton, N. 20017. Ashton N (BM), email to CP (SCCAS), 15 June 2007.
- <S3> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. SF-ADC3D0.
- <S4> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S5> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S6> SSF10015 Bibliographic reference: Jacobi, R.. 194. The Mesolithic of North East Anglia & Contemporary Territories. 47-53.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Nov 11 2019 2:11PM