Farmstead record BMF 018 - Farmstead: Hill Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3921 7198 (164m by 140m)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMFIELD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Hill Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed OS Map and the Bramfield Tithe map. The farmstead is laid out in a linear plan ranges with detached additional elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. There are parts of 3 sides of probable sub-rectangular moated site around the former Hill Farm (house). The farmstead is situated next to a private track in an isolated position. This farmhouse and all buildings have been completely lost.
Parts of 3 sides of probable sub-rectangular moated site around the former Hill Farm (house). Same as a group of 3 buildings shown on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S1) and buildings shown within 3 enclosures (with trackway to N, not NE as on existing maps) on OS 1837 1st ed map. 1880s and early 1960 OS maps show farmhouse inside moat and range of farm buildings and various ponds outside, mainly to SE.
All buildings now gone and only SW arm of moat appears relatively intact. Other sources not checked.
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF59198 Map: Bramfield Tithe Map.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF50065 Map: J Hodskinson. 1783. The County of Suffolk Surveyed.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 27 2019 12:20PM