Monument record IPS 482 - 2-8 Fore Street, Ipswich, (IAS 4705).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1669 4434 (11m by 27m) (4 map features)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
2005: The site is situated within the Saxon and medieval defences of the town of Ipswich and partially lies within the precinct of the Blackfriars Friary. Archaeological monitoring revealed a c.7m length of the former precinct wall running parallel with, but set back by c.8m from, Fore Street. It was coincidental with the rear wall of No. 2, Fore Street, and had been acting as its foundation. Excavation of a footing to the rear of No. 6 Fore Street revealed a further length of the precinct wall running, on the same alignment. In the yard to the rear of Nos. 2-8, Fore Street, monitoring of the excavations for ground beams for a residential block was also undertaken but only post medieval made ground deposits were disturbed (S1).
See, (S2, S3).
- <S1> SSF50422 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2005. ARCHAEOLOGICAL MONITORING REPORT Nos. 2-8 FORE STREET, IPSWICH (SMR refs. IPS 482 & IAS 4705).
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 4705.
- <S3> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 4705.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 27 2016 2:01PM