Monument record ADB 176 - Aldeburgh

Please read our .


Indicative area of Medieval town of Aldeburgh.


Grid reference Centred TM 4649 5659 (602m by 2181m)
Map sheet TM45NE


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Medieval town of Aldeburgh, defined from historic maps and locations of listed buildings.
Aldeburgh is mentioned as Aldeburc in Domesday, and the presence of a moot hall suggests a very early date for the origin. It became a borough in 1547, having formerly been the property of Snape Priory. The town was a major fishery at this time and remained so for many years (S1).
A map of circa 1570-80 shows various signals and a windmill on the West side of the town; a defensive ditch and bank (?) with a gun emplacement built into the sea at its east end; a considerable group of houses ( 'The base towne') south of this and a road leading south (still extant?) leading to a row of buildings ('The store howses'); to the east, and linked to the river to the east is shown 'The Keye' with a road (?) on the south side adjoining the timber lined quay (filled with vessels)(copy in parish file). This area also recorded as Slaughden Quay (see ADB 026).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: NCSC 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Coastal Survey - Documentary Evidence.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Sep 25 2013 4:10PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.