Monument record RLM 007 - Site of previously recorded prehistoric ring ditches, now RLM 062
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 323 529 (29m by 28m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||RENDLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1 or possibly 2 ploughed tumuli. Possibly other features on this field, NW of church. Full circle
20m diameter, half circle 15-20m diameter (S1).
The western complete ring located as plotted by Rog Palmer for Rendlesham survey in 2008 and c. 18m in diameter, also visible in magnetometry survey on the west side of an irregular, roughly D-shaped enclosure. The second, 30m to the east, is plotted as discontinuous segments, c. 15m diameter. Magnetometry shows an oval enclosure overlapping with this feature. (S4)
May 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Beauty National Mapping Programme.
Assessment of the historic aerial photographs (S2) for this site has indicated that these ring ditches formed part of Second World War gun emplacements and not prehistoric barrows, see RLM 062 for details of the defences.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 1st May 2015.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP CQ 080.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP CQ 080.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM35SW12,.
- <S2> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S3> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 12-FEB-79.
- <S4> SSF60734 Unpublished document: Palmer, R.. 2008. Aerial Photographic Assessment: Land at Rendlesham, Area centred TM324530.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2022 2:21PM