Farmstead record OFF 019 - Farmstead: Castle Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0653 4922 (157m by 91m)|
|Civil Parish||OFFTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Farmhouse bears the date of 1860 above entrance, but may be of earlier origin.
Barn: timber-framed, 16th C. it retains a plain crown post roof and initially contained four bays and central entrance to the west. The fourth bay was partitioned and probably formed a stable with separate entrance. Both gables were hipped. The structure was extended by a single bay to the North in the 17th C.
The are also a number of surviving cattle stalls dating to the 19th and 20th Centuries with some original fixtures and fittings.
The complex represents a good example of a mid-19th C 'high farming' model.
Castle Farm, Offton. 16th century farmstead and 19th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The farmstead is extant. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
- <S1> SSF50638 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2007. Archaeological Record: The Farm Buildings, Castle Farm, Offton, Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59918 Map: 1839. Offton Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2021 8:48PM