Farmstead record SUT 216 - Farmstead: Vale Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3193 4533 (97m by 107m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (11)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- LOOSE BOX (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SHELTER SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- CART SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- GRANARY (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Vale Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular full plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. The farmstead survives intact with some conversion for residential use.
An archaeological monitoring was carried out on land at Vale Farm, Sutton (TM 3194 4534); SUT 298. Ground reduction in timber framed farm buildings, along with groundwork for drainage, was monitored during July to September 2009. A number of archaeological features were recorded, including pits and foundations for demolished buildings. None of these can be shown to pre-date the barns. No finds were recovered during the fieldwork (S1).
Group of 19th C timber-framed and weatherboarded buildings, including a 5 bay barn, a stable with a hayloft above, loose boxes, shelter sheds and a cartlodge with a granary above. Several buildings retain original fixtures and fittings (S2).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S1> SSF50727 Unpublished document: Stirk, D. 2010. Barns at Vale Farm, Sutton, Suffolk; Archaeological Record..
- <S2> SSF54808 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2009. Historic Building Record: Barns at Vale Farm, Sutton, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Barns at Vale Farm (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-76013) (ESF20913)
- Event - Survey: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project (ESF26675)
- Event - Survey: Historic building recording, Barns at Vale Farm, Sutton (ESF20453)
- Event - Survey: Historic Building Survey: Vale Farm Barns (Ref: OASIS-suffolkc1-72719) (ESF21751)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2019 7:48AM