Monument record WSH 016 - IP8 development, London Road, Pinewood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1282 4267 (36m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||COPDOCK AND WASHBROOK, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||PINEWOOD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
An evaluation comprising 21 trial trenches was undertaken in advance of development proposals, revealing two large curvilinear ditches, tentatively interpreted as the remains of a prehistoric ring ditch with a internal diameter of 20m. A small quantity of pottery was recovered from the fills of the ditch but did not provide conclusive dating evidence (S1).
A targeted excavation was undertaken to investigate the ditched features revealed during evaluation. Excavation revealed two large quarry pits and three ditches. The quarry pits contained only limited dating evidence, with pottery providing a terminus post quem of AD720-850, while the ditches are likely to represent medieval or later field boundaries (S2).
Descriptions of flint flakes are broad, dating to a specific period bracket is ill-advised. However, they may be Mesolithic, based on details of discovery, (S3).
- <S1> SSF53668 Unpublished document: Piper, L.. 2008. Fred Olsen Cruise Lines IP8 Development, London Road, Pinewood, Ipswich, Suffolk. Archaeological Evaluation Report.
- <S2> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S3> SSF53669 Unpublished document: Piper, L.. 2008. Fred Olsen Cruise Lines IP8 Development, London Road, Pinewood, Ipswich, Suffolk. Archaeological Excavation Report.
- FSF34840: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF34841: FLAKE (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF34842: MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF34843: BLADE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF34844: POTTERY (Early Neolithic to Roman - 4000 BC to 409 AD)
- FSF34845: SINGLE PLATFORM BLADE CORE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF34846: BURNT FLINT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 1 2020 11:27AM