Monument record IPS 500 - University Campus, Ipswich, (IAS 6605).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1698 4407 (28m by 47m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
2006: Desk Based Assessment, (S1,S2).
2007: Two linear evaluation trenches were excavated in advance of the proposed University Campus Suffolk development. The trenches revealed natural silting and reclamation deposits in excess of 3m, overlaying grey rivers silts indicating of salt marsh and tidal mudflats. Other than the remains of a post-medieval cellar fronting Fore Street, no significant archaeological features were noted in either trench. An earlier quay wall had been anticipated, but was found to be heavily disturbed by the foundation of a 1950s silo structure. No deposits of archaeological interest were encountered during subsequent monitoring of foundations, (S3).
2007: Palaeoenvironmental Survey, (S4).
See also (S5, S6, S7).
- --- SSF57215 Unpublished document: Faber Munsell. 2006. Phase 1 Geo-Environmental Desk Study, University Campus Suffolk- Phase 1, Neptune Quay.
- <S1> SSF52434 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2006. Archaeological Desk-based Assessment. University Campus Suffolk, Phase 1- Neptune Quay, Ipswich.
- <S2> SSF53679 Unpublished document: Breen, A.. 2006. UCS Site, Fore Street, Ipswich. Documentary Report.
- <S3> SSF53280 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2007 & 8. Archaeological Evaluation Report. University Campus Suffolk, Phase 1 - Neptune Quay Includes the results of archaeological monitoring and assessment of the palaeoenvironmental core samples.
- <S4> SSF53678 Unpublished document: Hill, T. and Tetlow, E.. 2007. University Site, Ipswich: a palaeoenvironmental assessment of deposits encountered during ground investigations.
- <S5> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 6605.
- <S6> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 6605.
- <S7> SSF52517 Unpublished document: 2006. Method Statement/ Risk Ass report. University Campus Suffolk, Phase 1-Neptune Quay, Ipswich.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Borehole and Test Pit Survey, University Campus, Ipswich, (IAS 6605). (ESF24955)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, University Campus, Ipswich, (IAS 6605). (ESF24956)
- Event - Survey: Desk Based Assessment, University Campus, Ipswich, (IAS 6605). (Ref: OASIS ref. Suffolkc1-16475) (ESF20708)
- Event - Intervention: Environmental Sampling, University Site, Ipswich, (IAS 6605). (ESF20713)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation and Monitoring, University Campus, Ipswich, (IAS 6605). (ESF20709)
Record last edited
Oct 28 2016 3:00PM