Monument record NKT 032 - Palace House Stables, Newmarket
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6447 6335 (35m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWMARKET, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
2010: An archaeological evaluation was carried out at Palace House Stables, Newmarket. This recorded a range of six brick-built walls, the front of an extensive span of lean-to out-building built against the north boundary wall. The building dates to the late 18th or early 19th century and its earliest depiction is on a map of 1850. The building however incorporate part of an earlier clunch-built structure thought to be part of the stable complex built by Charles II; part of this original building survives within the existing standing boundary wall. The wall footings overlie earlier deposits including a post-medieval pit, possible floor surfaces and an occupation soil that produced 16th to 18th century pottery and building rubble. The east end of the building range was cut by a brick lined sunken chamber either a cellar/soakaway or dung pit which dated to probably the latter part of the 19th century (S1).
2012: Excavation to the north-east of the main stable block and trainer's house at Palace House Stables, revealed a series of post-medieval features and structures. The earliest of these is shown by a phase of 18th century postholes and a pit, as well as an 18th century structure pre-dating the 1787 Chapman map, overlaid by buried topsoil. Several more extensive phases of construction then occur, with the latest appearing to date to around the late 19th or early 20th century. The function of these buildings was probably as subsidiary units to the adjoining stable yard (in its various incarnations), for purposes such as tack storage and possibly for husbandry of animals such as cattle. There are several historic maps showing the phases of the site's development, although none of the structures are shown on the earliest available plan, the 1720 Fort plan. This indicates that they were not associated with that phase of stable construction, although some of them may have been contemporary. The features uncovered on site comprised brick walls and floors, surfaces, postholes, soil and demolition layers, and a pit. The majority of the finds consisted of animal bone, CBM and pot, much of which was abraded. All of the finds were post-medieval, excluding one redeposited later prehistoric flint. The lack of earlier features and finds on the site, particularly considering its position on the Icknield Way and within medieval Newmarket, suggests that the area was possibly levelled extensively during various phases of redevelopment; particularly as medieval pottery has been recovered from the adjoining stable yard (S2).
For other reports and work on the site see NKT 035, 036 & 041.
- FSF35190: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36361: LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Later Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF36362: ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF36363: BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36364: SLAG (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36365: THIMBLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36366: KEYHOLE FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36367: BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36368: TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36369: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF36370: TOBACCO PIPE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2013 11:15AM