Farmstead record BTE 027 - Farmstead: Street Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9440 4763 (67m by 112m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENT ELEIGH, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SHED (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (20th century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Street Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular E-plan. The farmhouse is detached and set side on to the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a village location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with a large modern shed on site. (S2-5)
Two 19th century farm buildings that formed part of a continuous complex of outbuildings. The 1886 OS map shows a range of outbuildings adjacent to the house. Building one has two walls constructed from brick and two which are timber framed, with an earth floor and a purlin style roof. Building two was damaged by fire and has been re-constructed from a mix of older brickwork and re-used timbers alongside modern materials. This structure has a new timber roof covered with pantiles as well as a concrete floor (S1).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54009 Unpublished document: Modece Architects. 2011. Historic Appraisal of Outbuildings, Street Farm, Brent Eleigh.
- <S2> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 23 2020 8:14AM