Farmstead record HTC 076 - Farmstead: Causeway House Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9888 5237 (150m by 95m)|
|Civil Parish||HITCHAM, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Causeway House Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular courtyard L-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. This farmstead survives intact with modern extensions and additional sheds on site. (S2-5)
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
15th C timber-framed farmhouse with a thatched roof. Brick lobby extension with a tiled roof and an axial chimneystack of red brick added in the 17th C. A 19th C barn is present in the grounds of the farmhouse (S1).
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S5> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2021 8:27AM