Farmstead record HWN 025 - Farmstead: Hawkedon Hall Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7970 5286 (104m by 95m)|
|Civil Parish||HAWKEDON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Hawkedon Hall Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular full plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a village location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with modern sheds on site. (S1-4)
A range of outbuildings in the farm attached to Hawkedon Hall (HWN 006), a medieval moated manor house. A 16th C timber-framed and weatherboarded barn with 6 bays and a threshing floor is present at this site and appears to re-use timbers from a 14th C house, possibly from an earlier phase of Hawkedon Hall itself. There is also a 19th C timber-framed and weatherboarded barn stood on a flint plinth, with four bays and a threshing floor; again this structure re-uses earlier timbers from a 17th/18th C aisled barn. A 19th C timber-framed and weatherboarded barn stood on a flint and brick plinth with a slate roof and 5 bays is also present, with a lean to grain store A 19th C timber-framed workshop, again containing re-used timbers, is also present and has a saltire cross carved on a door hinge. It is possible that this building was once used as an engine house. A 19th C timber-framed two bay cowshed and three bay store is also present, as a well as a 19th C brick stable (S5 & S6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S5> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S6> SSF55176 Unpublished document: Hillman-Crouch, B. 2011. Hawkedon Hall Farm, Hawkedon, Suffolk: Description and analysis of the barns and stables.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2020 9:00AM