Monument record ADB 006 - Extensive cropmark site.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4593 5801 (362m by 379m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Extensive cropmark site (ditches, fields etc), beside old crag pit (S1). Possibly not archaeological.
March 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
A series of field boundaries and possible fragmentary settlement features are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs (S2-S6) on land to the south and east of Crag Pit Nurseries, Aldeburgh. Some of the cropmarks may be agricultural rather than archaeological in origin, and a large sub-square pit recorded in the northern half of the site is likely to be of post medieval origin, relating to possible extraction for the brick kiln site recorded on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition map to the north (S1). The oblique photographs (S5), on which the cropmarks were showing most clearly, were very difficult to rectify due to a lack of sufficient control points, and therefore the location of the features should also be viewed with a hint of caution.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 25th March 2015.
- <S1> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/877 V 5250-5251 21-MAY-1952 (EHA Original Print.
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/540/1082 V 0001-0002 24-FEB-1953 (EHA Original Print).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/58/1672 F22 0144-0145/0155-0156 03-MAR-1955 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55746 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique aerial photograph. CUCAP ASK1-3 03-JUL -1967 (Print).
- <S6> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 25-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 18-MAR -2015 (Digital).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM45NE. Mapping Block 1: Walberswick to Aldeburgh. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF23192)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2015 12:47PM