Farmstead record WHP 040 - Farmstead: Hall Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8327 5819 (210m by 118m)|
|Civil Parish||WHEPSTEAD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Hall Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular full plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a village location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. (S3-6)
A 17th C 8 bay timber-framed barn, constructed using major components from a c.1300 barn that was at least 7 bays long and which once belonged to the St Edmund's Abbey estate (S1 and S2).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF55051 Article in serial: Aitkens, P.. 1989. Aisled Barns is Suffolk.
- <S3> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S6> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 23 2020 9:58AM