Farmstead record PAU 012 - Farmstead: Abbots Mead farmhouse
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1742 5980 (81m by 60m)|
|Civil Parish||PETTAUGH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
16th C 3 cell open hall style timber-framed and plastered house with a coupled rafter roof covered in thatch. Still present are a number of diamond mullioned windows. This house has had a number of alterations through time with the construction of a new chimney in the 17th C and the construction of 2 new chimneys and an extension in the 19th C (S1).
Abbots Mead Farm, Pettaugh. 19th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard L-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings with additiona detached elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a loose farmstead cluster (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59941 Map: 1839. Pettaugh Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 29 2021 5:46PM