Farmstead record SUP 024 - Farmstead: Green Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0637 6016 (104m by 136m)|
|Civil Parish||STOWUPLAND, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
17th C farm buildings which include a 17th C timber-framed and plastered 5 bay barn, with 2 porches and a side purlin roof. The small size of the barn and low roof suggests that it was once used to house cattle. Also present is a 17th C timber-framed and weatherboarded 4 bay cartlodge with its original clasped purlin roof. This is a rare example of a complete 17th C cartlodge in Suffolk, although it was converted for use as a stable in the 19th C (S1).
Green Farm, Stowupland. 17th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan, formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a hamlet (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF22187 Map: 1839. Stowupland Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 14 2021 1:23PM