Farmstead record COM 037 - Farmstead: Model Farm (Webb's Model Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0413 5657 (188m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (12)
- MODEL FARM (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- COVERED YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- STABLE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- PIGGERY (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- ABATTOIR (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- POULTRY HOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- DAIRY (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD MULTI YARD (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
19th C model farm consisting of a range of brick buildings with slate roofs, including a covered yard and a timber-framed and weatherboarded barn (S1). In addition there are stables, piggeries, a slaughter house, poultry house and an ornate dairy. These buildings have recently been converted for housing (S2).
Recorded in gazetteer of significant Industrial Archaeological sites extracted from a 1980 booklet entitled 'Industrial Archaeology in and around Norfolk' and revised as 'Suffolk IA Sites in 1980' in Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter in 2011 where it is described as: "Webb's Model Farm, prizewinning design of 1865." In 2011 John Jones adds "Model Farm surveyed and recorded by SIAS 19/6/83. Subsequently converted to housing." (S3).
Model Farm (Webb's Model Farm), Combs. 19th century farmstead and farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard E-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings with multiple yards. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a village (S4-9)..
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF54104 Unpublished document: Wade Martins, S., Lake, J. and Hawkins, B.. 1997. Model Farmsteads: thematic survey.
- <S3> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. SIAS Newsletter 115, Nov 2011.
- <S4> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S5> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S6> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S7> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S8> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S9> SSF59490 Map: 1841. Combs Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2020 2:51PM