Farmstead record FRD 019 - Farmstead: Boundary Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1862 6076 (137m by 97m)|
|Civil Parish||FRAMSDEN, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WINSTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Farm buildings in the grounds of Boundary Farm, including a 16th C timber-framed farmhouse with a 17th C crosswing. The 16th C core of the building is infilled with bricknogging, whilst the 17th C extension is plastered. The house has a purlin roof, ovolo-mullioned windows, 2 axial chimneys and 2 newell staircases.
Also present is a 16th C 4 bay timber-framed, weatherboarded and plastered barn, which originally had stables with lodgings above at one end; these were converted into a dairy in the 17th C. The barn has a clasped purlin roof and also some diamond mullioned windows above the dairy. Some extensions and alterations were carried out in the 19th and 20th C, including the addition of a porch and a loft above the barn.
In addition there is a 17th C 3 bay timber-framed and weatherboarded barn with stabling at one end; this structure also has a clasped-purlin roof. A number of alterations were carried out to this building in the 19th C.
Lastly there is a 17th C brick stable, which formerly had lodgings above. This has a clasped-purlin roof and oak framed ovolo-mullioned windows (S1).
Boundary Farm, Framsden. 16th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard L-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings, with aditional detached elements. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. Partial loss (less than 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59542 Map: 1839. Framsden Tithe Map.
- Listed Building (II) 279671: BARN AND DAIRY, SET CORNER TO CORNER IMMEDIATELY NORTH WEST OF BOUNDARY FARMHOUSE, AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL
- Listed Building (II) 279765: BARN AND STABLE, 100 METRES WEST OF BOUNDARY FARMHOUSE
- Listed Building (II*) 279670: BOUNDARY FARMHOUSE
- Listed Building (II*) 279672: STABLE, 50 METRES SOUTH OF BOUNDARY FARMHOUSE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 24 2021 9:58AM