Farmstead record FAS 041 - Farmstead: Lodge Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8376 6752 (98m by 116m)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ALL SAINTS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Lodge Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular L-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in a village location. There has been a significant loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. (S1-4)
A 16th C timber-framed and brick open hall house which was partly demolished. Smoke-blackened timbers which once formed part of a kitchen were then used in the construction of a 7 bay timber-framed and weatherboarded aisled barn with a clasped-purlin roof, in the 18th C. The barn has now been converted into housing (S5).
The farmhouse also uses a base cruck within its construction (S6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S6> SSF54321 Article in serial: Colman, S.. 1990. Base-cruck usages in Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 29 2020 9:34AM