Farmstead record COM 038 - Farmstead: Holyoak Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0503 5651 (132m by 128m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Group of farm buildings at Holyoak Farm, including a 16th C timber-framed and plastered farmhouse with a clasped-purlin roof. Also present is an 18th C timber-framed and weatherboarded stable with a hayloft above; much of the original clay daub used in this structure still survives which is rare for a building of this age. In addition there is an 18th C 3 bay timber-framed and weatherboarded cartlodge with a granary above; this re-uses a number of 17th C timbers in its butt purlin roof. There is also a 19th C timber-framed and weatherboarded barn on a brick plinth which has a purlin roof (S1).
Holyoak Farm, Combs. 18th century farmstead and 16th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Dispersed cluster plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (over 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF54036 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P and Wade-Martins, S.. 1998. The Farmsteads of Suffolk. A Thematic Study.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59490 Map: 1841. Combs Tithe Map.
- Listed Building (II) 279844: HOLYOAK FARMHOUSE
- Listed Building (II) 279845: STABLE ALIGNED NORTH SOUTH 40 METRES NORTH WEST OF HOLYOAK FARMHOUSE
- Listed Building (II) 279846: GRANARY/CARTLODGE ALIGNED EAST WEST 30 METRES NORTH OF HOLYOAK FARMHOUSE
- Listed Building (II) 279949: BARN ABOUT 50 METRES NORTH WEST OF HOLYOAK FARMHOUSE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2020 2:07PM